- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté Onion and Garlic: In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Add Broccoli and Broth: Add the chopped broccoli florets and the chicken or vegetable broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Simmer: Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the soup cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the broccoli becomes tender.
- Puree the Soup: Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender to puree it until smooth. Be cautious when blending hot liquids; allow them to cool slightly and blend in batches if using a regular blender.
- Incorporate Cream and Cheese: Return the pureed soup to the pot. Stir in the heavy cream and shredded cheddar cheese until the cheese is fully melted into the soup.
- Season: Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
- Serve: Serve the broccoli cheddar soup hot, and if desired, garnish each bowl with additional shredded cheddar cheese.
Enjoy this creamy and comforting homemade broccoli cheddar soup! 🥦🧀🍲